So there is a bunch of different theories about why covered bridges were originally built. Some say it was to keep the horses from getting spooked when they crossed. Some say it was to provide shelter for those that got caught out in the weather. But most likely they were covered to protect the massive wooden trusses that held the bridges together. Adding the covering would increase the life of the bridge by as much as three times.
What ever the reason for the covered bridge, it most certainly has given us some beautiful sights to see out in the country side. I’m lucky enough to live in an area where there are several bridges that have been preserved and today a few of photographed three of the local bridges. Hope you enjoy the bridges as much as we did.
Kings Covered Bridge first built 1806.
The King’s Bridge is a historic covered bridge in Middlecreek Township, Somerset County, Pennsylvania. It was built in 1806, and is a 127-foot-4-inch-long (38.81 m) Burr truss bridge, with an asbestos covered gable roof. The bridge crosses Laurel Hill Creek. It is one of 10 covered bridges in Somerset County.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Info from Wikipedia
Barronvale Bridge first built 1902.
The Barronvale Bridge, also known as Barron’s Mill Bridge, is a historic covered bridge at Middlecreek Township, in Somerset County, Pennsylvania crossing Laurel Hill Creek. At 162 feet 3 inches (49.45 m) it is the longest remaining covered bridge in Somerset County. It is 13 feet 10 inches (4.22 m) wide. The Burr truss bridge was built in 1902, and is one of 10 covered bridges in Somerset County. Info from Wikipedia
Lower Humbert Covered Bridge built 1891.
The Lower Humbert Covered Bridge, or the Faidley Covered Bridge, is an 126-foot-6-inch (38.56 m) Burr Arch truss covered bridge that crosses Laurel Hill Creek, in Lower Turkeyfoot Township, Somerset County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. It was built in 1891 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 10, 1980. It is one of the ten remaining covered bridges in Somerset County. Info from Wikipedia.